Orange County (Then and Now)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Orange County was created in 1889. Soon, wilderness evolved into farmlands and communities supported by a year-round harvest of Valencia oranges, lemons, avocados, walnuts, and more. In the 1950s, aerospace and industry expanded here, and today the county boasts more than three million people. This collection features side-by-side historic comparisons of many local institutions, from orange groves to beaches to Disneyland.
head off, shall we? Let’s go see how Orange County was back then. And of course, how it is now. CHAPTER 1 NORTH ORANGE COUNTY This image shows the cast of the show The Streets of New York from the introductory season of the Bird Cage Theatre at Knott’s Berry Farm in 1954. The theater, which still stands but is only used sporadically, was created as a replica of the historic Bird Cage Theatre in Tombstone, Arizona. (Then photograph courtesy of the Orange County Archives.) In the 1920s, Walter
located midway between Long Beach and Santa Ana It is one of Orange County’s oldest communities, and many of its homes are 1950s construction. (Midway City is also where actress Michelle Pfeiffer hails from.) The market building on the right remains virtually unchanged in the now image. (Then photograph courtesy of the Orange County Archives.) The old Barber City Woman’s Club building, which still stands at 14046 Rancho Road, was also used for a time as a branch of the Orange County Public
with a cement walkway already formed in the left foreground. Ladders and piles of supplies sit around the frame of the forming castle and workers stand high around the top of the castle’s towers. Today, of course, we see the finished product, the venerable icon of Disneyland in all of its glory. The Hotel Valencia in downtown Anaheim was located on the corner of 182 West Center Street (now Lincoln Avenue) and Lemon Street. It was built in 1916 by John Ziegler for $40,000 and designed by
1944, the station became fully functional in the early 1950s to accommodate the navy for the Korean War. The station also maintains the Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge on its property. The then image dates back to the 1950s. First constructed as McFadden Wharf in 1888, Newport Pier is one of several prominent piers in Newport Beach. From this wooden structure, one can look south to see the Balboa Pier, the second major pier in Newport. This is where the dory fishermen dock their dory boats
that it means things have been preserved, but a book full of images that look the same would be boring—exhilarating from a preservationist’s point of view (and I am a preservationist at heart) but as a book, dull. Second are the sites that have changed partially—altered and developed enough so that it’s like a game to figure out what is the same and what has changed. Visually these may be the most appealing photographs. Third are the sites that have changed radically, where today there is an